Addicted to learning. Working to connect people and ideas.
I'm a nerd with a knack for writing, a love of strategy, and a passion for shifting the work of social change. Being the co-owner of DVQ Studio allows me to creatively intersect many interests, from writing and messaging to tech and web strategy to sociology and organizational development. Regardless of what I'm working on, intuition and critical thinking are my favorite tools. And non-stop learning is my favorite way to develop them.
As a communications strategist, I help organizations understand who they are, shape a distinct story about themselves, create meaningful tools to tell that story, and connect with people to build support. I believe strong communications makes for strong organizations.
As a social change agent, I work to connect an organization’s mission to action. Professionally and as a volunteer, I’ve supported some powerful missions on a grassroots level and nationally. These have included ending homelessness, attacking childhood hunger, preserving natural spaces, getting out the vote, increasing women’s leadership, and more. Some of my favorite volunteer roles have included:
- Working closely with Blandford Nature Center's leadership to reposition the organization for growth.
- Developing the concept and messaging for the 2011 Young Nonprofit Professionals Network National Conference.
- Being the youngest women appointed to the Michigan Women's Commission in 2004 and serving as a Commissioner for seven years, during which time I helped create the Young Women, Strong Leaders conference at college campuses around the state.
As an entrepreneur, I’m addicted to learning and new thinking. This makes me a little restless and very open to big ideas. Luckily my sidekick Gretchen shares this attitude, so we use our business as an outlet for experimenting and creating. When we’re not working with clients, we’re trying out new technology, brainstorming ideas for books, music and other art, or discussing other ways to become rockstars and poets.
- Young Nonprofit Professional Network of Greater Grand Rapids Do Gooder Award (2009)
- Grand Rapids Business Journal's "40 Under 40" (2010)